Ninhydrin’s test is used to indicate the presence of amino
acids in a substance. Ninhydrin solution is used to detect all types of amino
acids. Ninhydrin (2,2-Dihydroxyindane-1,3-dione) is a chemical compound that is
used to detect the amine group in the amino acids molecule.
Amino acids react with ninhydrin to form an aldehyde and release NH3 and CO2. Hydrindantin forming after ninhydrin has reacted with amino acids. Hydrindantin and other ninhydrin molecule will react with NH3 released by amino acids to form purple color molecule. Positive results is characterized by changing color of solution into purple (yellow for prolin).
- Ninhydrin + amino acids = hydrindantin (change of ninhydrin) + aldehyde + NH3 + CO2 (fragments of amino acids).
- Ninhydrin + hydrindantin + NH3 = purple solution
Material and reagents:
- 0.1% ninhydrin solution
- Substances to be tested
- Put 2 ml substance to be tested in a test tube.
- Add 5 drops of 0.1% ninhydrin.
- Heat in a water bath for 10 minutes.
- Observe the appearance purple color.